Duke Job Postings
To see if there are current openings for any of the job descriptions listed on this web site, please search Duke Jobs.
CLINICAL RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Title: CLINICAL RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Code: 0802
Job Level: 07
Revised Date: 02/10/2021
Job Family: JF 05
Perform a variety of research, data, and clerical duties of a routine and technical nature to support the conduct of clinical research, under the direction of a Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) or similar Clinical Research Unit (CRU)/Oversight Organization (OO) designee.
1. Research Operations. Under supervision, may document some participant-level information for non-complex (e.g., questionnaire, data registry, scripted) studies outside of the electronic health record (EHR), collect information from sources including the EHR to assist study team in determining eligibility, and employ simple procedures for collecting, preparing, processing, shipping, and maintaining inventory of specimens. Prepares documents, equipment, supplies, etc., and assists with the conduct and documentation of non-complex visits and scripted testing or interviews. Assist with maintenance of study level documentation. Follows standard operating procedures (SOPs) and strategies to manage and retain research subjects. Participates in study team meetings.
2. Safety and Ethics. Under supervision may collect information about adverse events (AEs), identified in the protocol or investigator brochure.
3. Data. Enters basic data for research studies. Scores tests and measures that do not require interpretation, according to the protocol. Under supervision, corrects and documents incomplete, inaccurate, or missing data for non-complex studies. Follows SOPs for quality assurance. Follows required processes, policies, and systems to ensure data security and provenance. Learns and uses new technology when required.
4. Scientific Concepts. May assist with simple literature searches under close supervision from PI or CRC.
5. Site and Study Management. For studies with simple supplies or equipment, assists with ensuring that there are ample supplies and that equipment is in good working order. As directed, assists in preparing studies for closeout, (e.g., packing files, documenting files for storage, shipping extra supplies back to sponsor).
6. Leadership and Professionalism. Maintains Duke and project specific training requirements. Communicates with other study personnel as required for study implementation and routine problem resolution.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires an Associate's degree.
None above education listed above
Can easily use computing software and web-based applications (e.g., Microsoft Office products and internet browsers).
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.