Duke Job Postings
To see if there are current openings for any of the job descriptions listed on this web site, please search Duke Jobs.
VICE CHAIR, ADMINISTRATION, SOM
Job Title: VICE CHAIR, ADMINISTRATION, SOM
Job Code: 2950
Job Level: 98
Revised Date: 04/01/2023
Job Family: JF 28
Provide administrative and financial oversight of a department within the School of Medicine staff in support of daily operations and planning.
1. Provide leadership in the development, implementation and monitoring of financial plans that reflect the strategic initiatives and operational priorities of the Department and consistent with institutional policies.
2. Provide financial oversight, controls, procedures and practices for the development, implementation and management of operational budgets, grants & contracts, endowment, gifts and clinical practice revenues consistent with internal and external compliance and in support of the broad strategic goals of the Department. Insure the appropriate fiduciary controls within the Department, consistent with School of Medicine and University standards.
3. Oversee financial reporting, analysis, forecasting and business planning. Negotiate institutional budgetary support for operational activities, recruitment packages, capital procurement and facility improvement. Supervise production and presentation of Departmental annual budgets to Duke Health management.
4. Develop, with division leadership, standardized compensation plans for faculty and senior administrators, and implement an annual review of effort, productivity and funding sources for all faculty.
5. Develop solutions to improve current business processes and make them more efficient. Establish and maintain effective internal controls for finance, human resources and grants administration. Recognize and seize opportunities to improve fiscal and operational performance of the Department.
6. Act as a liaison on behalf of the Chair on financial issues with the management of the clinical practice, the School of Medicine, Duke University Hospital and Duke Health.
7. Provide necessary analyses and guidance to the Chair to support recruitment and retention of key faculty.
8. Participate in strategic planning in concert with the organization's goals that contribute toward market growth, revenue enhancement, cost containment and maximizing clinical practice and research productivity.
9. In close cooperation with the respective faculty Vice Chair, oversee central departmental support services in clinical operations, research administration graduate medical education, diversity, information technology and appointments, promotions and tenure
10. Manage departmental administrative services for human resources, grants administration, finance and space management. Perform personnel planning, analysis and assess administrative support to ensure an organizational structure that meets the needs of the department and divisions.
11. Oversee divisional administrators and other professional staff, including the development of measurable performance goals on an annual basis. Identify opportunities for further training and development of staff.
12. Advise the Chair and Chiefs monthly in an appropriate executive form, on financial status against budget, School management metrics, and clinical activity. Provide quarterly or annual evaluations (with the Vice Chairs) of trends in research productivity, diversity, academic achievement and other measures noted by the Chair.
13. Serve as the departmental point person for labor disputes and all other human resource issues involving staff employees.
14. Work closely with Chair and Vice Chairs to promote the mission of the department.
15. Set a tone of leadership that is people-oriented, collaborative in nature and focused in data based decision-making.
16. Build a management culture based on teamwork, open communication, prudent risk taking, innovation, mentoring and accountability.
17. Facilitate development of a long range strategic and financial plan for the department to assure continued financial health for the advancement of the missions of teaching, research, and clinical care.
18. Performs other duties as assigned by the Chair. Participate in work and advisory committees.
19. Participate on School of Medicine, clinical practice and Duke Health administrative management committees, including the monthly senior manager meeting coordinated by the Vice Dean for Finance and Resource Planning.
20. Work cooperatively with other senior administrators across Duke Health and the University. As Vice Chair, this position has the potential to participate in many important initiatives which impact faculty and staff across the University.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Masters degree in business or healthcare.
Minimum of eight years related work experience in finance and health care, managing large and complex organizations, minimally involving physician clinical practice and ideally including research administration
Relevant experience in healthcare, particularly an academic medical center. Significant management experience in a faculty-driven environment. Experience in using computerized accounting and financial information systems.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.